STURBRIDGE, Mass. – Now through late October is considered peak hurricane season. Smart preparations beforehand can help keep your family and property safe during a hurricane.
“Being prepared in advance and taking the appropriate actions to protect your family and property can help to prevent or mitigate injury or losses,” said Richard A. McGrath, President and CEO of McGrath Insurance Group. “Don’t wait for the storm to be headed your direction. Here’s a list of easy-to-do action items that can be completed well in advance and improve your odds of weathering the storm safely.”
Hurricane preparation tips:
- Create or update a home inventory. It is one of the most important, but often overlooked preparations. Homeowners’ insurance claims are more likely to be processed up to twice as quickly when customers have completed a home inventory in advance of a loss, according to The Hanover Insurance Group, a leading property and casualty insurer.
- Stock emergency supplies, including: a battery-powered radio, flashlights, extra batteries, medicines, first aid handbook and kit, and a week’s worth of non-perishable food and water. Other items to have on hand include: prescriptions, pet supplies, plastic sheeting, tape, and toiletries such as diapers.
- Secure your home: Repair loose boards, shingles, shutters, downspouts—the kind of things that could become greater problems in high winds or torrential rain. If you live near the coast, purchase and store materials you may need to board up windows.
- Bring items inside your home that could become dangerous as flying objects, including toys, grills, planters, and lawn furniture.
- Purchase battery-operated carbon monoxide and smoke alarms if you have a generator you may have to use. To help ensure safe operation, take time to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Develop an evacuation plan, and know where local shelters are located. If you have a pet, be sure you have a list of local shelters and hotels that allow pets.
- Create a list of key telephone numbers including family, friends, your local fire and police departments, your insurance agent, etc. that may be needed in the event of an emergency.
- Sign up for weather alerts. Stay alert about approaching weather and follow advice from local officials to stay safe during storms.
- Review your homeowners policy with your insurance agent to determine whether you have adequate protection. In particular, consider whether you have flood insurance and if your policy will cover current rebuilding costs.
About McGrath Insurance Group, Inc.
McGrath Insurance Group, Inc. of Sturbridge, Mass. (www.mcgrathinsurance.com) is a full-service, independent insurance agency that provides business insurance, personal insurance, life insurance, employee benefits and specialty insurance products to clients throughout New England. Founded in 1927, it is one of the oldest and largest insurance agencies in Central Massachusetts. Our account representatives strive to provide each client with a sense of Freedom from Worry® by researching their individual needs, then customizing an insurance plan that fulfills those needs at a competitive, yet affordable price.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. McGrath Insurance Group specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with McGrath Insurance Group, Inc. By providing this information to you, McGrath Insurance Group does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2015 McGrath Insurance Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.