Autumn has always been my favorite time of year. Nothing beats bundling up in a nice warm blanket as a cool breeze chills the air, all while admiring the beautiful fall foliage that lights up the sky as if it were on fire. Autumn is also one of the most important seasons for homeowners. It is the perfect time to start making preparations for the long, harsh winter in order to avoid excessive damage during the cold season.
Here are 6 maintenance tips to help homeowners prepare for the fall and winter seasons:
- Review your insurance policy with your agent to ensure you have adequate protection to cover the cost of damages.
- Make sure your heating system is in working condition. Clean your furnace and hire a qualified technician to inspect it.
- Hire a professional to clean and maintain your chimney and fireplace. Protect your home from open flames with a fireplace screen.
- Check the seals and caulking around windows and doors for drafts. Replace any windows that are cracked and/or broken.
- Inspect smoke detectors to ensure they are functioning properly, and change batteries as needed. Check the expiration date on fire extinguishers.
- Disconnect all garden hoses. Turn off water to all outside faucets and drain them to protect the outside pipes from damage.
For more information on fall preparedness or to schedule a review of your insurance policy, contact McGrath Insurance Group at 800-342-3859 or visit our website at www.mcgrathinsurance.com.
*This article is written for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice.